Thursday, June 10, 2021

Remember to say thank you...


We all do lots of things each day throughout our careers. Some are our basic duties while others are far more than that; but all should be praised by supervisors attuned to catching people doing things right. I recently booked a ticket online with one of the major airlines (not Southwest). My plans changed and I tried to change my tickets online, and the search came back with an additional cost of $1100.00 (the original ticket was $800). That didn’t seem right so I dialed their reservation number and a recording told me they were experiencing heavy volumes and if my travel wasn’t in the next 72 hours I should hang up and call back closer to my travel date; and because of Covid-19, it said, the wait times would be up to 4 hours.  I couldn’t believe that, so I opted to wait, doing other things in the meantime, and finally hanging up after 3+ hours. That was unreal, so the next day I tried again, with the same results. I really needed to change my tickets, so I drove more than 2 hours to the nearest airport and told the ticket agent my story; she made a call and after 2 minutes told me it was all taken care of. Just like that. No hassle, no extra charges. After all I’d been through to change this ticket, that was like a miracle. I was dumbstruck and couldn’t stop thanking her. She smiled sheepishly and said how nice it was to be able to do her job and not get yelled at. I guess life as a service employee is like that these days. Remember to thank people for the miracles, big and small, they perform today.

 

Walter Whitman (1819 – 1892): American poet, essayist, and journalist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...