Friday, June 18, 2021

Don't try to be something you're not...


We all watch others to see what they do best; sometimes their best doesn’t work for others. But we’re often able to pick up characteristics big and small that do. I’ve always watched people speaking in public – how they gesture with their hands, where they focus, whether they tell stories or stick to a script, how easily they smile, and how they pace their delivery. Those who know me know I like getting up and speaking but I realize that many others do not. Years ago, I created an employee of the month program and asked the nominees’ supervisors to stand up and talk about them. Right off the bat the first supervisor froze at the podium, and I quickly had to intercede and rescue him. That’s when I realized that some people are far less comfortable than I am at public speaking. Then we started a storytelling program where people were encouraged to talk about their own experiences and found they were comfortable with that. The moral of this story is that not everyone can be like someone else, but they can always be like themselves. And that’s good enough. Catch people being a first-rate version of themselves today.

 

Judy Garland (1922 – 1969): American actress, singer, vaudevillian, and dancer

1 comment:

  1. You help everyone with your content. thanks for providing good content
    happy birthday meme

    ReplyDelete

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...