Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Catch your employees doing things right...


People often asked how I trained employees to smile – the short answer: I didn’t; they smiled in the interview, so I hired them. The rest of the answer, and story, is more telling. When offering them the job, I explained that because they smiled in the interview, I knew they could, and we'd be looking for it every day on the job. And when they attended orientation, we reminded everyone there that they were all known smilers and should start immediately showing it to the people on their left and right. And then their new supervisors told them they too knew of their propensity to smile and began the routine of reminding and encouraging them to keep doing it. Thereafter, they thanked them every time they caught them smiling. That’s how you hire for and get this or whatever other attitudes you want. After that, you can confidently train for skills, knowing those employees have the right attitude(s). Today’s quoter is spot-on: skills can be taught but character and other innate attitudes are either there or they’re not. If you want your employees to use and display the attitude(s) you hired them for,  say "thank you" every time they display them. Follow this formula if you want your employees to have and display the attitudes you want today.

 

Anthony Bourdain (1956 – 2018): American celebrity chef, author, and travel documentarian, who starred in programs focusing on the exploration of international culture, cuisine, and the human condition

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...