Thursday, April 8, 2021

Don't bite off more than you can chew...


I’ve learned that big things don’t happen overnight. The courage to do the handbook I wrote about yesterday came from having learned from a lot of crazy/cool projects I’d done in the past. With each resort opening, I got deeper into trying to reengineer and improve HR practices and processes that had become outdated or inefficient. Most of the things my team dreamed up hadn’t been tried before, so we started small and kept going. Like: Manually handling and processing 55,000 applications at Mirage lead finally, after 4 iterations, to an entirely paperless and seamless HR environment at Wynn. Like: When we broke through the wall to situate our HR help desk in the main employee corridor at Mirage, we started to dream of improvements that led, in increments over 15 years and 6 iterations, to Wynn’s employee intranet and portal.  Like: When we first committed to an employee-centric, value-based culture at Golden Nugget, that led, again in increments, to Million-dollar employee recognition programs, the Bellagio Yearbook for all of its original employees, and a culture of excellence that led, some 20 years and countless small steps later, to that crazy handbook at Wynn. Great things really are done in a series of small, well planned, incremental steps. There’s never a better time than right now to take a look at your present practices and processes and find some small things that could stand a series of incremental improvements. That’s a journey worth starting today.

 

Vincent van Gogh (1853 – 1890): Dutch post-impressionist painter who became one of the most famous and influential figures in the history of Western art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...