Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Open your mind to new ideas...


I’m a big fan of pizza. My hometown, Utica, NY was, like most New York State cities, proud of and often noted for its pizza. So, when we moved to Las Vegas, one of the first things we did was go looking for a good pizza place… and we found Metro Pizza. I’ve since come to know the owners, John and his cousin Sam, and they are (or should be) the poster children for proud family businesses (pizza or otherwise). According to John’s Facebook posts, pizza is a metaphor for life itself, and that’s apparent when you meet them or just eat in their restaurants. They’re clean and on top of their game. I had an opportunity to work with them when I was teaching at UNLV and they taught a class on the business of the pizza business. To say they eat, and sleep pizza is a given, but to see them inspiring students to think about the business of pizza and hospitality was inspiring. To be around them is to experience a whirlwind of ideas, both about pizza and life. And that’s what they were teaching the college kids who took their course. Because to them ideas are like pizza dough, made to be tossed around. Those students came away with this: if you want to be successful, pay attention to the details and start every day, and every meeting, by tossing ideas around. That’s a great way to make the point that we’re all responsible for our personal and our organization’s success today.

 

Anna Quindlen (born 1953): American author, journalist, and opinion columnist; Pulitzer Prize Winner and columnist for the New York Times

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...