Monday, April 26, 2021

Do a little bit extra...


People often ask me how they might get ahead: my answer is usually ‘do the best you can, and you’ll get noticed’. There’s no magic to that: be responsible for your actions every day and you’ll be held appropriately accountable. And one of the best ways to always be your best is to read anything and everything that’s related to your job – that way you’ll be the one who’s up-to-date and prepared, and your work will reflect that. I recently started a list of things my consulting partner and I are reading each week, and rather than respond to ad-hoc requests, we’ve started sending that out. It’s an eclectic mix of stories that are culled from dozens of sources that we like and learn from. In the past month much of it has been related to emotional intelligence and how those skills are super-important in this post-pandemic period; you’ve seen some of those themes here in these messages. This week the stories range from overcoming the blahs, revising corporate cultures, and how millennials are disinterested in being the boss, among others. Like me, I’m sure you learn a lot at work every day; but at the end of the day, it’s always good to learn a little bit more by reading something no one else is reading. Knowing a little bit more is a good way to get ahead today.

 

Christopher Morley (1890 – 1957): American journalist, novelist, essayist and poet. He also produced stage productions for a few years and gave college lectures

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...