Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Watch your step...



We’re constantly changed by life’s events. Where we’re born, the family that raised us, our neighborhoods and communities, friends we hang out with – they all have a hand in making us who we are. And then there are events like this pandemic. My grandparents were changed by electricity,  cars, airplanes, and telephones. My parents were changed by the depression, World War II. My generation has been changed by the cultural changes in the 60s, the Vietnam War, Woodstock and a man on the moon. Parents like me worry about the effects that 9-11, computers and the Internet, and now this pandemic are having on our children and grandchildren. I don’t want to sound overly dramatic or alarmist, but the unknowns associated with this virus, the lack of control we have against its spread, and the divisiveness it has caused are changing us all in different ways, some of which we don’t yet comprehend. When we emerge from this pandemic we may not be the same people we were when it started. Be aware that those around you are probably being affected and changing in subtle ways. Leaders need to be sensitive to those changes today.

 

Haruki Murakami (born 1949): Award-winning Japanese writer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...