Friday, March 27, 2020

Focus on the outcomes...


Like many, I had trouble getting my head around starting to self-quarantine and isolate: it seemed a bit drastic and, frankly, I didn’t think I could do it. But as the news and impact of the virus spread, the reality of having to practice social distancing sunk in. It’s not like this all makes perfect sense but, being in the high-risk age bracket, I was worried about how it might end. I was in Hong Kong 15 years ago when SARS broke out: one minute there was little or no information, the next, everyone there was wearing masks and being quarantined.  We came home almost immediately and self-quarantined before going back to work. Back then, I was more worried about the infection and less about the mortality statistics; but I’m older now, and the current statistics make me realize how important it is to do what the experts say in order to have some personal control over this pandemic’s end and its impact on me and my family. Life really is fragile, and that realization is sobering. Stop worrying about being apart from others and focus on remaining healthy today.

Usain St Leo Bolt (born 1986): Jamaican former sprinter and record holder in the 100 meters, 200 meters and 4 × 100 meters relay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...