Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Hang out with people that light up the room...


Quotes like this make me think about hiring for attitude and how I generally look for people who are optimistic about life and passionate about what they do. My consulting partner (he’s a clinical psychologist) and I have a test for general optimism and it’s very accurate: it shows that people who are optimistic are flexible, open to change, and look at the glass as “half full”. But it’s not so easy to discern whether applicants have passion for what they do: it’s not as though you can ask someone if they are – they’ll always say yes. You have to watch their eyes and body language when they answer that question – enthusiasm like that is hard to hide… or fake. If they’re passionate about their work, they smile and gesture and light up the room: anything short of that shows they don’t mean it. We all want to be around people like that, and you should make it a habit to hire candidates like that – their enthusiasm is the electricity of life and it will infuse your company or team with energy, optimism, engagement, creativity and enthusiasm. Pick people like that and then train them for the skills you need them to have. Make a habit of hiring enthusiastic people today.

 

Gordon Parks (1912 – 2006): American photographer, musician, writer and film director

3 comments:

  1. Nice blog, keep posting such updates. Looking for a highly experienced safety consultant offering qualified and competent safety education related programs for your group? If you want a totally customized safety education that is focused on your outcomes, you are in the right place.
    Motivational Safety Keynote Speaker

    ReplyDelete
  2. This information is really helpful for me as I want to attend motivational classes in Singapore, keep sharing such blogs.
    Motivational speaker Singapore

    ReplyDelete

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...