Monday, March 22, 2021

Give it your all every time ...


I remember when we were kids and there were pick-up games in the neighborhood – two of the bigger kids would be the captains and they’d pick their teams from the rest of us. I liked to play and be with the other kids, but I wasn’t particularly big or good… so I was one of the last ones picked. Over time I made up for my lack of sporting skills with an overabundance of eagerness. And by the time I got into high school, I was a team assistant, a writer on the school paper, and a volunteer in Key Club. I learned that enthusiasm, optimism and flexibility were just as important as physical skills; I was the guy who always saw the fun in things, and what I lacked in size I more than made up for with passion. If you always bring you’re A-game to whatever you’re doing, that’s enough: nobody expects more than that and it will always be appreciated. It’s tough being the smallest, but that shouldn’t stop anyone from participating fully and being the best at whatever they bring to the field or table or project. Besides, it’s not whether you get a hit but rather that you played the game. Be a good sport today.

 

Nick Hornby (born 1957): English writer and lyricist, best known for his memoir Fever Pitch and novels High Fidelity and About a Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...