Friday, February 14, 2020

Lighten up...


Leaders need to lighten up: the natural instinct to be businesslike and professional is good… but knowing when to laugh is essential. I’ve had lots of employees during my career and always encouraged openness and honesty, and more than once they challenged or gave me a piece of their mind. Most leaders don’t like that, but I think it comes with the territory. When that happened, I chose to get more introspective than defensive, knowing that there might be some truth in what they said. I’ve heard some say that’s disrespect or insubordination; to that I say try to first understand their perspective and motivation before judging their words and actions. In situations like that, I’d recall my mother telling me to take a deep breath, put yourself in the other person’s shoes, listen to what’s being said, think before you speak, and don’t take yourself so seriously. How you react to situations like this determines how you’ll feel about yourself, and how others will think about you, afterwards. Don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself today.

Penélope Cruz Sánchez (b. 1974): Spanish actress and model

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...