Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Slow down and smell the coffee....


“Direction is more important than speed. We are so busy looking at our speedometers that we forget the milestone.”Anonymous

Last night I was driving in a blinding rainstorm, going slower than normal and relying on my rental car’s radar-enhanced cruise control: it automatically slowed the car down if it got too close to a car ahead. It’s a cool feature in new cars that lets drivers be more aware of their surroundings. There are lots of other electronic wonders on these new cars: some beep when you inadvertently cross over a lane, others can actually assist with parallel parking (often the knockout punch for kids taking the dreaded driving test to get a permit). Don’t get me wrong: I love technology, but there’s something wrong with needing gadgets to help you do what’s right.  As I was using that automatic braking system I couldn’t help but hear my mother’s voice in my head: ‘slow down when the roads are bad’. We know what’s right, and usually don’t need any reminder about what’s not. So slow down – literally and figuratively – when deciding where you’re going and what you’re doing today.

Anonymous (anon·mous): An adjective meaning ‘of unknown authorship or origin’ 

1 comment:

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...