Tuesday, March 19, 2019

There's lots to learn from a best friend like this....


“Before you get a dog, you can’t quite imagine what living with one might be like; afterward, you can’t imagine living any other way.”Caroline Knapp

Every time I think about loyalty, a dog story comes to mind. We have a neighbor who had a dog for the longest time: he walked that dog 5 or 6 times a day, talked to him like a friend, and they grew old together. They were always walking: the dog using the opportunity to sniff everything while loyally staying by my friend’s side; my friend enjoying the sociability of being out among friends and neighbors with his trusty dog. But as is often the case in life, the dog passed, and my friend was left with wonderful memories. At our age, getting a new dog is a commitment that makes you pause. Then, my friend’s son got a new dog, and rather than leave the puppy home alone, asked if the dog could stay with his dad during the day. My friend is back: walking, chatting, and making a new and mutually loyal friend. Imagine that… today.

Caroline Knapp (1959 – 2002) was an American writer and columnist whose candid best-selling memoir Drinking: A Love Storyrecounted her 20-year battle with alcoholism

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...