Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...


If I had a song

I'd sing it in the morning

I'd sing it in the evening

All over this land

I'd sing out danger

I'd sing out a warning

I'd sing out love between

My brothers and my sisters 

All over this land.  Words by Pete Seeger, Popularized by Peter Paul and Mary

 

The answer my friend is blowin’ in the wind. Bob Dylan

 

There but for fortune go you or I. Words by Phil Ochs; Popularized by Joan Baez Baez

 

My guitar-playing days started around the time that Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, Pete Seeger, and Peter Paul and Mary started playing their music and singing their songs. With titles like Where Have all the Flowers Gone, Blowin’ in the Wind, It Ain’t Me Babe, I Ain’t Marching Anymore, If I Had a Hammer, and There But for Fortune. Songs I could play with words that inspired me and others to want to get involved. Every generation has their “movement” and these troubadours led a generation of activists wanting to make things better. Because every generation sees the future with despair, their songs and words served as the call to action. And when you’re doing things with a purpose, feeling excited about the goals you’ve set, there’s no time for despair. It’s the same with life and work: if you think things are hopeless, or that your energy and efforts don’t make a difference, double down – get involved in discussions, lend you voice to the planning, volunteer your time to the work to be done, and approach it all with an optimistic, can-do attitude. Make the force of your presence felt and you’ll be energized. When there’s somewhere to go and something to be done there’s no time for worry and what-ifs. Let action be your antidote to despair today.

 

Joan Baez (born - 1941): American singer, songwriter, musician, and activist. Her contemporary folk music often includes songs of protest and social justice.

1 comment:

Get off your high horse...

hum·ble / ˈ h ə mb( ə )l/ adjective 1. having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance. "he was humble about his...