Monday, May 17, 2021

Be prepared...


Yesterday I traveled out of Las Vegas on my first business trip since the lockdown began nearly 15 months ago: I worried that going back out into the world would be hard and was I ever right. The airport was crowded, the plane was packed, and being in contact with so many people I didn’t know made me feel anxious and vulnerable. Even though the little voice in my head kept telling me “I’m vaccinated” and reminding me that the CDC says I can do this, there’s a world of difference between can and will. I thought because I’d gone on business trips so many times before that this would be like what they say about riding a bike: once you’ve learned to do it, you always remember how. I was wrong. In hindsight, I should have practiced and trained for this just like anything else I’ve done professionally in my life and career. And, if this happened to me, it’s probably going to happen to countless others who are taking their first steps back to their own new normal. If it’s you: don’t be so cavalier about this transition; and if it’s your employees, be empathetic to what they’re going through. Remember to tell them, and yourself, to practice and prepare before running out into the world. That’ll put some brains in the muscles you need to carry you back to a new normal today.

 

Samuel Jackson Snead (1912 – 2002): American professional golfer who is widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...