Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Positive recognition matters...


I’ve often written about the importance of catching people doing things right. I discovered how effective this could be in the mid 1980s when trying to improve performance and productivity among the people responsible for cleaning guest rooms in a hotel. It’s hard work – maybe the hardest in the hospitality industry – and back then they and the work they did were more-or-less taken for granted by management. The employees complained that supervisors mostly told them what they did wrong and rarely commented about the things they did right: they were proud of the hard work they did and wanted someone to notice. I modeled a new recognition program after the old S&H Green Stamp stores I remembered from my youth: for everything these employees did right we gave them stamps they could collect and redeem.  Nobody thought it would work, so when performance, productivity, and employee satisfaction all started to improve, we realized how important and effective it was to recognize and reward the right behaviors . Catch your employees doing things right today.

David Eigenberg (b. 1964): American actor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...