Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Live, prepare, reflect, and learn...


For me, there are two tough parts to any day. You might think those would be associated with something difficult at work, but you’d be wrong – like many professionals, I knew my business and was prepared to be good at it. 

·      The first tough part is in the morning when I’m brushing my teeth – standing in front of the mirror looking back at the person looking at me. Thinking: am I ready and prepared to face whatever comes my way? That’s where knowledge, skills, abilities, and attitude come into play – and trusting that those attributes are sharply tuned and focused on the road ahead. One can never be too prepared, so a continuing commitment to learning, listening, adjusting, and adapting is necessary to being ready to meet the day’s challenges. 

·      And the second comes late at night while staring at the ceiling and rehashing all that happened in the previous however many hours since looking in that mirror. Going back over the things that were said or not said, done or not done. Were they right; was I right? Hindsight, like any debriefing is worthwhile, not to second guess but rather to reflect and learn. One can never be too aware of things past, present, and future. Do a quick nightly scan: affirm, learn, and prepare for the next go round. 

Realizing and accepting that this is the world you’ve made for yourself; now live in it wisely and well. Take stock at the beginning and ending of every day to make sure you’re the best you can be. Live in your world that way today.

 

Nina Simone (1933 – 2003): American singer, songwriter, pianist, composer, arranger, and civil rights activist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Live, prepare, reflect, and learn...

F or me, there are two tough parts to any day. You might think those would be associated with something difficult at work, but you’d be wron...