Tuesday, October 15, 2024

don't let your emotions run wild...


e·mo·tion

/əˈmōSH(ə)n/

noun

plural noun: emotions

1.     a natural instinctive state of mind deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others. 

a.     "she was attempting to control her emotions"

2.     instinctive or intuitive feeling as distinguished from reasoning or knowledge.

              a.   "responses have to be based on historical insight, not simply on emotion" 


I feel like starting today’s message by saying “I resemble this quote”. Full disclosure: I’m an emotional leader, using that to engage and inspire people. While I like that style, I understand that it might not be as effective as I need it to be, and I realize that sublimating my emotions to the work at hand might be more comfortable for those I’m leading. Like any leader’s style – it must be explained so people understand where it’s coming from, and the leader should always be aware of how their words, actions, and style(s) affect those they lead. And it should go without saying that one leadership style does not fit all situations, thus the need to vary them according to the situation and circumstances at hand. In that case, an emotional approach should always be used only after careful analysis and clear communications. That said, a leader’s commitments and objectives should be clearly explained to the people/group they’re leading; once that is accomplished and everyone is on the same page, being engaged, passionate, or otherwise emotional will probably be more acceptable, effective, and successful. Bottom line: make sure you don’t allow your emotions to diminish your effectiveness today.

 

Bruce Koslow (born ????): Every now and then I find a quote by someone who I can’t identify. This may be the 2nd or 3rd time in 15 years – sorry about that, but I still like the quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

don't let your emotions run wild...

e·mo·tion / əˈ m ō SH( ə )n/ noun plural noun: emotions 1.       a natural instinctive state of mind deriving from one's circumstances, ...