Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Sometimes it's good to hurt...


I got the 2nd vaccination shot yesterday and I suspect the next few days will be impacted by the kind of reactions that others have reported. Even so, the relief I’m feeling will carry me through whatever aches and pains come from the medicine beginning to work its way into my system. I realize now how much I’ve worried about this virus in the last 12 months, constantly fearing getting sick and being alone in a hospital, wondering if I or a loved one would become one of the statistics. I suspect I’m not alone in this, and in that leaders can learn still more about empathy. Make time for your employees to talk about their experiences this past year and what they’re feeling now that the vaccines are more readily available. Some, like me, have been vaccinated, but many others are still waiting and possibly worrying, and that can have an impact on their work and general well-being. Help your employees see that with these shots the glass is half full and not to let a few bad days spoil all the good ones yet to come. Best to let your employees talk this out rather than ignore it: that’s another benefit of work teams that care about each other. Let your workplace be a safe place to express concerns and learn from colleagues. The aches and pains that come with these second shots are things you should deal with today.

 

Ralph Dale Earnhardt Sr. (1951 – 2001): American professional stock car driver and team owner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...