Friday, February 15, 2013

Majestic




                      Majestic  

I flew around the country this week, going from New York to Edmonton to San Francisco to Las Vegas. I saw friends and clients, and ended up with family.  And as I flew the last leg from the Bay Area to the Strip, flying over the Sierra Nevada Mountains clearly got me thinking about the majesty of life.

The snowcapped mountains sparkled in the setting sun, reminding me of the beauty and breadth of this land of ours. And in the dying light of Valentine’s Day, I couldn’t help but feel that it’s times and sights like these that we live for. Not even the travel fatigue brought on by gate and customs agents could dampen my excitement to be going home.

Seeing my granddaughter, who grows by the day and was standing wearing sunglasses when I walked in: she’s my new Valentine! A big hug from the mother of my granddaughter – such a nice present from the daughter we love. Dinner with my wife for Valentine’s Day: a great end to a long week.  And a birthday party for my Mom, who turns 92 in the midst of this trip: her continued thirst for life is an inspiration and a blessing.  And having the four women in my life, together: that’s a pretty good Valentine’s gift.

In spite of the goals and resolutions we set for ourselves, life tends to take over and we end up running farther and faster than we should, past the things and people that mean the most to us.  And so when chances come along to slow down – like on Valentine’s Day – we should take full advantage of them to remember what’s really important.  That’s when we need to gaze at all the majestic places and people in our lives. 

My message this week is about love and happiness:

“Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” Robert Heinlein

Love and integrity are joined together in most things in life.  Because love is best when it involves another person, openness, honesty, and integrity are keys to it being what each person wants and needs.  And the happiness that comes from this is what allows relationships to endure.  The same is true about the relationships at work, where honesty and openness form the basis for how people interact with co-workers and customers.  Strive to make others happy today and see how good life can be.  Happy Valentine’s Day!

Stay well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loyalty comes from service; and Service starts with a smile...

                                     serv·ice                                                             / ˈ s ə rv ə s/                   ...