Monday, January 14, 2019

Be responsible for your destiny....


As I start the third week of physical therapy for my knee, I am reminded of the physical issues related to getting old. Twenty+ years ago I tore an Achilles tendon and vividly remember a friend telling me he’d had a similar injury: he didn’t follow the schedule and advice of his therapist and ended up walking with a noticeable limp for the rest of my life.  That made a real impression on me that only I was responsible for doing what they said if I wanted to recover fully: the same is true today about this recent surgery. I am sore from these exercises but know that I must keep doing them now and probably forever if I want these old muscles and bones to stay as limber as they can be. It’s at times like these that personal responsibility becomes so clearly defined. It’s important to remember that we’re each accountable for what happens to us in our lives today.

Mildred Newman (1920 – 2001): Psychologist and Author of books such as How To Be Your Best Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looks for common ground...

L isten to the news and you’d think the world couldn’t get any more polarized. People talking at people rather than with them, all the while...