Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Positive thinking matters...



My daughter gave me a Fitbit 5 years ago and I started walking 10,000 steps a day: I believe I’m in fairly good condition. So I was surprised when my knee started hurting and the doctor advised me I had torn something in there: said it wasn’t uncommon “among men my age”.  The knee hurt, but that comment stung. Not that these things don’t happen to all kinds of people – young, old, fit or sedentary, but I didn’t want age-related thoughts to start living between my two ears.  The mind is a funny thing: once we start thinking one way there’s no telling where it might lead, because ultimately, we are what we feel and believe. That’s why I think it’s up to supervisors, mentors, coaches, family, friends, and even doctors, to tell people to think positively.  Thus, I was grateful when the Doctor suggested I follow up this impending surgery with yoga and stretching so my body remains limber enough to do the things I want to do. Put positive thoughts between your own two ears and encourage others to do the same today.

Laird Hamilton (b. 1964): American big-wave surfer, co-inventor of tow-in surfing, and an occasional fashion and action-sports model

No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to you conscience...

white lie noun 1.       a minor, polite, or harmless lie; a fib.   W e’re raised to believe that little white lies are harmless. I suppose t...