Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Great service often comes from knowing the right questions to ask....


This is a sequel to yesterday’s message. Once I left the rental car center I followed my phone’s GPS on the way to a town north of Portland, ME. There’s an old joke about asking a New Englander if you can get to some place from where you are….and they reply ‘you can’t get there from here’ (in a strong NE accent). Well my phone couldn’t tell me either as it directed me 100’s of miles out of my way. When I finally straggled into the Samoset Resort more than 7 hours later the woman at the front desk took one look at me and said reassuringly that everything would be all right: she sensed my distress and took charge to make a bad situation better. Understanding, empathetic and extremely professional, she checked me in immediately: asking and finding out I hadn’t eaten, she said don’t worry about the restaurant being closed and sent a nourishing (for body and mind) BLT. She worried more about making things right than just following policies and procedures. That’s how companies get from good to great every day.

Madeleine L'Engle Camp (1918 – 2007): American writer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to you conscience...

white lie noun 1.       a minor, polite, or harmless lie; a fib.   W e’re raised to believe that little white lies are harmless. I suppose t...